5 Ways to Improve Your Surfing
If you are 100% happy with your current surfing level, sweet! However, if you are looking to step up your game a bit here are a few tips on how to improve your surf skills. (Hopefully improve them to the point that they become “skillz!”)
- Find your guru – Like anything else in life, it is always great to have someone wiser than you to answer your questions and help guide you on your Grasshopper-like path to surfing enlightenment. And don’t be shy about asking. Sometimes just a little bit of new knowledge can make a big difference.
- Surf the bad days – It is always ideal to go out on the good days, but there is a lot to be learned from charging the bad days too. Take on the the mush, chop and slop and learn how to surf it. (And after you surf the crud, good days be that much sweeter.)
- Get out every day – Practice make perfect. I know in a real world, getting out every day is not really possible, but get out as much as possible. One benefit is that you will really get your body conditioned for surfing. But, with that much surf at your fingertips, your are more likely to try new techniques, take risks that lead to discoveries.
- Watch surf movies – Watch them for fun, but also watch for technique. Watch how the surfers in the films use their boards, use their arms, place their feet and so on. Watch everything. Then make a point of noticing what your body is doing when you surf. See if there are ways to improve your technique, improve your balance.
- Wipeout – We learn most from our mistakes. Be willing to eat it. And push your comfort zone. If you are in a moment where you feel like there’s a 50/50 chance of making it, GO FOR IT! Do this often enough and you’ll start to figure out those iffy times; you will start to dominate those 50/50 moments. And it will be some of the most thrilling surfing you’ll ever know. Challenge yourself.
But more than anything, always, always, always remember to have fun, be considerate to others and share the stoke.
Leave a Comment